Ok, I admit it… when my dogs give me “that look” I can’t help but offer up a treat. Even when they do something cute or sweet, my heart goes into melt-mode and all I want to do is spoil them! This week, Cocoa & Maddie had their annual vet check-up and sure enough, I was told both of them needed to lose a little weight.
Obesity amongst humans is obviously on the rise. Poor food choices and lack of exercise has lead to this growing epidemic in our culture. Did we forget about our pets? We’re doing the same thing to them! According to The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, an estimated 54% of dogs and cats in the United States are overweight or obese. The medical and physical conditions associated with overweight or obese pets include:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Respiratory and heart disease
- Osteoarthritis and joint problems
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Cancer, particularly intra-abdominal cancers
- Shortened life span of up to 2½ years, according to APOP.
Seeing our pets every single day makes weight-gain so gradual that we become blind to it. I was! I already saved my dogs by getting them out of shelters, so I want to continue saving them by keeping them fit, healthy and away from obesity!
A few tips to get your pet on the right path include:
- Regulate the amount of food you give your pet.
- Choose healthier treats like Lean Treats for Dogs.
- Get your pet active by going for walks, runs, or playing with a ball or frisbee. It’ll let them get out their energy too!
Be a responsible pet owner and remember that your pet relies on you for their health! Making these changes only mean a longer life for them and a longer time with your best friend!